7.31.2011

LOCATING JAMES KALB IN 1870 LEAVENWORTH

A St. Louis Carpenter and Husband of Caroline (Pilcher)

For many years I've wondered about the Kalb family.  Specifically, James Kalb who was married to Caroline (Pilcher) - the sister of my 2nd great grandmother Clarissa.

Among the letters, photos and news clippings which Clarissa's husband, T.A. Moore, had saved, there were scraps of paper in which he had written down details of important family events.  One of the many notes was written down in an account book of his which reads: "James (J) Kalb, died July 11th at 5 o'clock at shop of T.A. Moore, 113 N. 7th Street, St. Louis, Missouri; buried at St. Peter's Cemetery July 14, 1881; section 9, grave 193."


My earlier searches for James Kalb had produced only scant bits of information.  I had located his 1856 marriage to Caroline in St. Louis.  The couple had married there on the 30th of January, and from various letters I knew they had four sons: Montgomery, Homer, Emory and Charles.  Soon after I located them in the 1860 census residing in Brighton, Macoupin Co., IL - the same county where Caroline's father Ezekiel is said to have died in 1858.  I had also located the family in 1880, then residing in St. Louis ... but I had never been able to locate them in 1870.   Not in Ohio, Illinois or Missouri.  I tried spelling their names Kolb, Calb, Colb ... and tried searching for Caroline and the others indvidually and by first name only, but had still been unable to find them.

More than a decade since those initial finds, I went back into the FamilySearch.org website which has always had better search results for alternatives spellings.  I searched for each member of the family by name and approximate age, but was not coming up with any search results which resembled this family.  What I did notice, was that in the search results I had consistently seen a DeKalb by each given name listed in Leavenworth, Kansas.  As far as I knew, none of the Moore or Pilchers (aside from the fur trader Joshua Pilcher) had resided in Kansas as early as 1870, but I opened the image to take a look just in case.  Sure enough ... this was the correct family!

Knowing that they had moved back to Missouri, and aware that the State of Missouri had begun digitizing and making available death records from 1910 to 1960, I then went to "Missouri Digital Heritage" at the Missouri State Archives.  Here I searched for each of their sons.  I found Montgomery Warren Kalb's record indicating his parents were James T. and Virginia, and his wife Anna Marie.  I then search for a death record for Anna Marie Kalb and learned that she was the daughter of Henry Henze.  This was a name very familar to me as I had heard my mother talk about the Henze family in Webster Groves.  Now I realized Anna was the sister of Henry (named after his father) who had married Cinthia Amanda Moore - the sister of T.A. Moore who was married to Caroline's (Pilcher) sister Clarissa. To summarize - this means that the Henze siblings had married not only into my Pilcher family, but my Moore family as well.  And it's probably why my mother who moved from St. Louis when she was fourteen, could never explain to me the relationship of the Henze family to the Moores.

Enumerated in this 1870 census as DeKalb, James T. was listed as a 34 year-old carpenter from Ohio. His household included Caroline, and sons Montgomery, Emory and four year-old Charles. Their son, Homer, who was born 04 Apr 1859, had died seven years earlier on 02 Mar 1863.

To those who have not undertaken the task of locating a family in all available records, it might not seem like a big accomplishment, but trust me ... I first attempted to find the Kalb family in the 1870 at least fifteen years ago. Though finding them this week did not really provide me with any new information on the individuals themselves, I now knew where they were living at that time.

I easily located the subsequent census records at FamilySearch and/or HeritageQuest, and the death record for Charles Kalb who was born in Cincinnati in 1866 and died in Webster Groves in 1932.  Like his brother's death certificate, it listed their mother's name as Virginia - which was news to me, so I might assume she was either Caroline Virginia or Virginia Caroline, or the informant R.T. Kalb (son of Charles) did not know her name.  Charles J. and his son Ralph T. were both buried in Forever Oak Hill Cemetery, and both headstones were kindly photographed by their funeral director, Janis Hopkins-Nugent.

Locating Emory Kalb proved to be more challenging.  I kept coming up empty-handed, but there was a Victor Emory Kalb who kept appearing in my search results at FamilySearch.org as residing in San Antonio.  It was certainly worth looking into further since family notes indicated Emory had moved to San Antonio.  Though no parents are listed on the indexed record, census and military records reveal that this Victor Emory had served as Sgt. in Co. K, U.S. Artillery of the Spanish American War and that his father was born in Ohio and his mother in Illinois.  This also matched my information, so I looked further.  It appears Victor Emory was first married to Henrietta who died in 1897, and was then married to Matilda (Zeltinger) in 1899.  According to the death records, Victor Emory died 12 May 1928 at Fort Sam Houston, Bexar Co., Texas.  He and Henrietta are both buried at San Antonio National Cemetery, and a photo of his headstone has been contributed to Find A Grave.

For a more complete narrative and history of the family of Caroline (Pilcher) and James Kalb, you may visit my Pilcher webpage.

As always, I look forward to your comments and emails and would be very interested in hearing from any of the Kalb descendants.

Thanks for sharing,
 Notes:  James is listed as James J. , James S., and James T; but it is believed that he was James J. Kalb and that J.T. Kalb who was born in about 1832 and who was buried on 10 Jan 1879 in St. Peters Cemetery is of some relation - possibly a brother.

* No headstones were set or exist for James, Caroline or any of the other Pilcher relations who were buried in the commons area of St. Peters Cemetery.

Outside Links:

No comments: